Something happy…

My last post was sort of gloomy so I thought I would bring some love back. This is the story of how Mr. Wonderful surprised me at work. I will give you some back story in case you are just tuning in… 

Mr. Wonderful is a wildland firefighter. This job causes him to work ALL over. His first job was in Jay, Oklahoma. 14 hours away from me. He left December 8th. We talked almost every day. I taught him the beauty of Skype which turned me into a giddy school girl because I could actually look at him and talk to him. I knew he would be home sometime in March or April. I knew he wanted to surprise me. I’m a tiny bit of a control freak so that drove me nuts! When we hit March I asked him nearly daily when he was coming home. He always told me he couldn’t tell me. And then it went like this…

Sunday March 23rd – He calls me and tells me that several of the guys are done for the fire season and heading home. He mentions that the boots he ordered have shipped but he doesn’t know where they are so he has to wait for them.He originally was going to ship them to me but for some reason had them sent to him in Oklahoma. I was thrilled at the idea of him being home no matter what day it was, in fact, I was at WalMart when I got this call and started crying in the check out line out of excitement. We continue to text throughout the rest of the day but his replies are scarce and take longer than normal to come through. 

Monday March 24th – I send the usual good morning text and receive a prompt reply which is unusual because when he is in the field (like he told me he was going to be) he doesn’t have time to chat. I note that he is very chatty (which I love!). Around 9:00am he calls, starts telling me he is out in the field and working and that he just fell asleep last night. I grow suspicious but don’t want to get my hopes up.  

1:00PM – He calls and tells me he doesn’t think he will be able to make it home, listing off several different reasons and giving me anxiety at the thought of not seeing him. I start to tear up. I offer solutions and tell him not coming home is not an option. We find a sort of solution and end the call. He’s still incredibly chatty for someone who is working which again makes me suspicious. 

2:41PM – He calls and again is super chatty. He asks what I’m doing and how my day is going… We discuss my vision of him coming home and how I imagine he will just show up at my work. He agrees that, that is likely how it will happen but then is quick to get off the phone with me. 

Seconds after hanging up I get a picture text from him of the following…



And then my office phone rings, it the receptionist. She tells me someone hit my car in the parking lot and I need to come up immediately. I knew in that moment that my car was fine and the love of my life was up there waiting for me. I ran from my office to the front (they have me stashed away in the back of the building) and never have I been more happy to see that man. I start crying and kissing him and shaking. It was incredibly romantic. The receptionist filmed it on Mr. Wonderful’s phone but I have yet to figure out a way to get it on a computer but I can replay it in my head like it was yesterday. This is why I will always have faith in love. 


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s